Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bells on Temple Square audition

On Monday there was an article in the Daily Universe (BYU's newspaper) about how the Bells on Temple Square needs more male members. Bells on Temple Square (or BoTS, as it's apparently called) is the bell percussion group that performs with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in their Christmas concert. (I've recently learned they also perform two other times in the year.) ANYWAY, they need more men since some are leaving, and they prefer men to heft the larger 13-pound bells. So on Monday I filled out an application and sent it in.

I got an email back from the director today about workshops they are having each Saturday morning in the Tabernacle on Temple Square until the end of the month. If it looks like I am showing potential, I will be asked to continue possibly as as long as March 13. The purpose of the workshops is to give people without bell-ringing experience (like me) a chance to become better acquainted with the technique.

It probably sounds totally random that I want to do something like this. I suppose it is a little. But the truth is that Karen and I have talked about wanting to be a part of the Tabernacle Choir. And while I won't be singing, it is technically a part of the choir. I think it will be a fun experience, even if I only get so far as one workshop.

2 comments:

  1. good luck! That would be a fun opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's the application you were talking about on Monday -- I wondered. Hope all goes well; I know that you will have fun!

    ReplyDelete