Monday, May 23, 2011

ASA presentation, thesis, and graduating

Writing this post is an effort to distract myself from my current tasks. I wouldn't normally indulge in such an endeavor, but I feel it important to document the craziness I find myself in. At least I want to so that in the future retrospection proves funny and hopefully inspiring.

For the last month or so, Karen and I have been working super hard to get me graduated. I started writing my thesis on Saturday April 16 and had an ambitious goal to finish the first draft by Friday April 29. In order to graduate in June, I need to defend my thesis by Friday June 3; so I worked like a mad man and wrote almost a section a day. What I had hugely underestimated was the amount of time it would take to generate the results I would put in my thesis. Instead of the day I had scheduled to generate the results, three weeks later (Thursday 19 May) I had the results finished and thesis submitted to Dr. Gee.

Meanwhile, other deadlines were coming and going. I needed to submit my thesis to my committee by Wed 18 May in order to defend Wed 1 Jun. That obviously didn't happen. So it comes down to my committee having less than the University-defined two weeks to review my thesis. As it is, I question if they will be able to review it all before my defense. Dr. Gee edited my thesis on Sat 21 May, already within the two-week window. Now I need to pump out the revised draft as soon as I can and send it to my committee.

Further complicating matters is the timing of the national conference for the Acoustical Society of America, at which I am presenting a section of my graduate work. It's happening this week (Mon-Fri 23-27 May). When we drove up to Seattle on Sat 21 May I hadn't yet prepared my presentation. I spent all day Sunday after sacrament meeting to start and finish it.

So now I'm sitting here at the beginning of the conference documenting a piece of the craziness that's going on. And I can't finish this post without trying to express how awesome my wife is. Karen is so awesome. This has been such a wild process. And while I'm doing all I can to graduate, Karen has been working so hard taking care of Lois and prepping everything for the move to Georgia. She is prepping everything. She scoped out ways of moving our stuff and found some movers to drive it to GA. She takes care of the food and house and packing. And in addition to all that, she is aware of the needs of her family and maintains a happy outlook when our apartment complex offers less-than-desirable living conditions. (Maybe the happiness comes from knowing we won't live there much longer.... :) I love my wife and am so blessed to be married to her.

So my presentation is tomorrow, thesis is due in a couple days, and I'm hoping to be a BYU graduate (again) in a couple weeks. So I'm moving forward with faith that the Lord will help me get it done.

Onward and upward!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it, David! And Karen, I know it can be such a challenge sometimes to have your hubby running around in a million different directions so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this, David!!!!! Ra, Ra, Ra, Shish, Boom, Ba! GooooOOOOO David! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so close! Just 9 more days--you can do it! I'm excited to hear how when you defend your thesis that people just throw flowers and money at you because it's brilliant. Don't be too humble to write about it on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete