Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3D tv's are coming

Can you believe this?? 3D tv's are on their way into the market, as are 3D tv stations. Here's an article about it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10466032-260.html Personally, I think it's technologically awesome. Karen and I watched Avatar in 3D and loved it. Before going in to see the movie, I thought the 3D part would give me a headache, but it wasn't bad at all. So I think this 3D tv stuff will be pretty sweet. Can you imagine watching football (probably ESPN...the Mtn. is still a decade or so behind...) in 3D? Or video games in 3D where the bullets whizz past your head or Mario does flips that look real? And if you couple that with surround sound? It's awesome technology.

The problem is: it's all about the individual. It's about one person watching tv or playing the video game. I mean, if right now we're being carefully led into virtual friendships and relationships with other people, with 3D tv, we'll practically be pushed in that direction. In order to watch the 3D stations and movies, you'll need to be wearing a special set of glasses. If you then want to talk to a real person sitting next to you, you'll either have to look at them through the funny glasses or take them off, then put them on again to continue watching. I see it potentially isolating us. Although, the exact same argument could be made about the current state of tv watching and video gaming. It just seems that as technology increases, the reality of the "virtual reality" becomes all that much more real, and actual friendships can seem almost dull in comparison (if we're not used to them and try to cultivate them). Bottom line is, 3D tv's are going to be awesome, BUT we will have to be even more careful to stay firmly rooted in actual reality.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I don't even have a digital tv yet! By the time I am ready for a new TV, what will I be getting into? Insightful comments, David; I agree with your thinking.

    ReplyDelete